Here at Network Integration Towers (Carrwood Park, Leeds) we’re always thinking about how we can improve our own network and network infrastructure. We’ve kicked off a new project to improve several things.
1. Virtualise all of our servers (vmware vmotion) and make better use of our SAN.
2. Use our hosting facility to provide Disaster Recovery facilities
3. Reduce our carbon footprint by replacing older servers
4. Improve network and server performance of key apps (mainly Sage Act and Accounts and Helpdesk)
5. Build a 10Gb backbone
6. Reduce our reliance on an overnight window for backups
7. Build new firewall resiliency
8. Further tighten our perimeter security
9. Re-design our wireless network
We’re breaking this down into three stages, but by the time we’ve finished, we will have a network and infrastruture that will be more advanced and resilient than anything our customers currently have. It will be a showcase for network, storage, security and voice integration.
Rob will doing most of the hard work, but I’m going to take the opportunity to document our findings and work in progress on the blog so that you can see what we’re upto. Feel free to comment, or ask questions as to why we’re doing what we’re doing.